Thursday, February 3, 2011

2011 Resolutions

Yes, yes, I realize it's now February and I am just tad late in posting about my resolutions for the year.  Alas, better late than never.  Besides, I don't make my resolutions for January 1.  It's nice to take a little post-holiday time and really think about the things I need to change in myself, my life, my surroundings, etc.  I have 2 resolutions for this year. 1.  Develop and follow a consistent skin-care routine. 
Yeah, yeah, I know I should already be doing this and I kind of do, but not as faithfully as I should.  I already wear a moisturizer with sunscreen every single day and I have for over a decade now.  But I'm not quite as faithful about making sure I wash my face every single night and then put on some anti-wrinkle cream and some eye cream (because let's be honest, this face isn't getting any younger).  So, I'm going 2 weeks strong now.  I wash in the morning and then slather on my moisturizer/sunscreen.  At night I wash my face and then put on the anti-wrinkle cream and the eye cream.  Can't say that I've really noticed a difference in how I look, but the skin definitely feels better, especially around the eyes.  No fancy products or anything--drugstore brands on everything except for the Clinique eye cream that I absolutely adore and must have.  Otherwise, it's Oil of Olay, Biore, generic stuff, whatever.  I figure something is better than nothing.  Oh, and a little t-zone mask treatment once a week for my oily areas.  That's my routine.  I've followed it for 2 weeks.  Let's hope I can keep it up the remainder of the year.

2.  Decrease our household grocery budget.
That's pretty vague,but I do have more specifics.  For us, I've set a goal of not spending more than $70 per week on groceries.  My inspiration for this challenge - the $5 dinner mom cookbook.  Check out her blog here.  I already follow several blogs that give great advice on how to combine coupons with sales to maximize your budget; I just need to do a better job of following those blogs.  And so far we've been successful.  I need to get a Sunday subscription to the Kansas City Star so I can get the print coupons regularly, but I print what I can from the internet (including tons of diaper coupons!). 
Do you have a similar goal?  Here are some places to help get you started, if you so desire.
   A. Check out My Frugal Adventures - her blog is on the right, but she posts weekly deals at Target, Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aid and other all-around good deals.
   B.  Be Centsable - this blog has links to other blogs that show coupon matchups for local grocery stores in Kansas (and other states).  Find your store and shop away (within a budget, of course). 

So, what are your 2011 resolutions?  It's February 3rd; how are you doing a month into the year?

No comments: