The premises of the book is the author, her husband and children eating and living off "locally" produced for one year. By local, they either had to grow it themselves or know the people who did grow it. The author lived in Virginia and had a decent-sized garden. She also took to raising chickens and turkeys. But she and her family made it a point to find out where their food was coming from. Where did that apple get picked? Was it in the next county or was it in Washington, where it was then loaded onto a semi and trucked across the country? Or was it grown somewhere in south America where a forest was cleared for a fruit orchard? I'll save you more examples, but I really enjoyed the message of the book. And the fact i enjoyed it so much means I'm probably a bit of a hippie. It's okay, I don't mind. And please don't be offended by my use of the word hippie.
I like the idea of knowing the history of my food. Now, if you only eat local then that means those of us in Kansas would never eat things like bananas or kiwis again and I don't know that I could go that far. But I'm certain I could do better. So, we're going to have a small garden this summer and see what it can produce! And, I'm going to try and be better about going to the farmers market and stocking up on fruits and veggies as each is in season.
Interested? Go read the book or visit the website.
I would HIGHLY recommend this book. Just don't blame me if it brings out the hippie in you, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment