Monday, May 3, 2010

Book Review - Square Foot Gardening

So, the most recent book I completed was Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. Oh my gosh, loved this book. In fact, loved it so much that we have our own square foot garden at the house now.
The whole square foot garden concept is pretty neat, especially if you like to garden but don't have the big, flat area to do it in. I'll spare you all the details (after all, I know you can read!) but the gist is that you build squares, no larger than 4 x 4, and plant your garden in these square containers. You don't have to plant in a single row and actually, single-row planting is wasteful and inefficient. You put in the Mel's Mix (compost, vermiculite & peat moss) and Voila! You grow glorious, beautiful plants.

I do think it's a really good idea. Especially if you want to eat food that you grow yourself. Stay tuned for details on our own square foot garden!

No comments: